Tuesday, October 13, 2009

One Reason Why I'm Not A Farmer

For the past couple of weeks, I've been waiting impatiently for rain to come, because I've planted loads of seedlings for my kitchen garden and I didn't want to use municipal water to water the garden.

So I waited for the rain to come.........................
and waited..............................................................
and waited...............................................................
and wondered how real farmers actually survive the stress of waiting for their crops to grow.

Then it struck me - writing is like growing vegetables. You prepare, your get your story idea ( seed), you plant it ( research and start writing) and then you continue to write until it grows and takes shape. You water, feed and weed the garden ( rewrite and edits). And the whole process takes hard work and patience.
Somehow I have the patience for the writing process. But the garden is driving me nuts. Come, rain already............!

4 comments:

Laura said...

This is so weird! I am the most impatient person I know and yet I have the patience to write :)

po said...

Hhehe! That is pretty funny. I would love to read a post sometime on your writing processes, like how you find inspiration and how you go about writing. But maybe that is too much like homework! I am just in awe at how you go about writing.

Tamara said...

Your garden must have enjoyed the recent rains ;-)

Some of my stories start as promising little seedlings but never make it to big fruit-bearing plants. I'd make a rubbish farmer.

Damaria Senne said...

@po- I wouldn't mind posting about it. thanks for the post idea:-)
@tamara - ja, it did a bit. But I'd like to see more rain.

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.