Friday, October 16, 2009

World Food Day: Why You Should Consider Growing Your Own Food



World Food Day is annually held on Oct. 16 to commemorate the founding of the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).

To celebrate this, I'd like to remind all my readers that you don't have to have a big garden to be able to grow some of your food.

You can use a small patch of ground in your yard, or if you live in a flat/townhouse and don't have a garden, you can do container gardening.

For more information on how to start a container vegetable garden, visit this web site.

So why should you grow your own food?

1. Fresh food is delicious - Growing some of your veges means that you have access to foods that are in season, and can eat them very fresh (off the stalk).
2. Fresh food is cheaper - Growing your own vegetables helps cut down on your food bill, especially if you're able to get a reliably good harvest.
3. The cost of growing your own food can be low - I've found it works even more beautifully during the rainy season, because I can use all that "free water" to water my garden.
4. Gardening gives you food security - I also like the fact that gardening gives me food security - no matter how broke I am, I can still eat well.
5. Gardening offers good exercise and relaxation - working in my garden after a hard day's work is very relaxing. And it gives me good exercise.

No comments:

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.