Thursday, November 05, 2009

Why Do I Feel I Have To Leave School To Learn About Life

Today I'm publishing a poem that I used on the OneLove web site to motivate why schools should make life skills education a priority. I thought you might also find the poem interesting.

......................................................................................................................................................
By Anonymous

You taught me the names of the cities of the world
but
I don’t know how to survive the streets in my own city

You taught me the minerals that are in the earth
but
I do not know what to do to prevent
my world’s destruction

You taught me how to speak and write in three languages
but
I do not know how how to say what I feel in my heart

You taught me all about reproduction in rats
but
I don’t know how to prevent pregnancy

You taught me how to solve math problems
but
I don’t know how to solve my own

Yes, you taught me many facts and thank you
I am quite clever now
but
Why is it I feel I know nothing?
Why do I feel I have to leave school to go and learn about coping with life?

Source: The poem was published in the Soul City Life Skills Grade 9, Teacher's Guide


3 comments:

po said...

Ha, so true. IF you get to go to uni, or get a job, or just leave school, that is when real life learning starts. Still it helps to be able to read signs and add your change and stuff!

Tamara said...

I feel like I still know nothing and I've been out of school for quite a long time now ;-) I think the best lessons are not learnt; they're lived.

Oooh... deep for a Friday.

Damaria Senne said...

lol. Glad someone's brain is working cos it aint mine:-)

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.