Monday, April 10, 2006

Entering the Maskew Miller Longman award

I have decided to enter the Maskew Miller Longman award for youth literature. The publisher is looking for original and unpublished youth novels in all 11 official South African languages.

Deadline is for the 30th of September 2006 and I have not gone to the web site yet to find out what the length of the story should be.

However,I have a half–finished youth novel which might be suitable for them. My two challenges are time ( I already have enonly challenge is that the story is in English and I hope to enter the Setswana category.ough on my plate) and the fact that it would be the first time I write in an African language.

I decided to enter a story written in my first language is because there is a shortage of African language stories and local publishers are going out of their way to encourage authors.

In any case, stories can always be translated from one language to another if there is demand. And I assume I would only be selling SA rights, which means I could still market the English language manuscript to overseas publishers.

No comments:

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.