Saturday, July 08, 2006

Free stuff that’s not so free

I’ve been looking for a way to make some stories available online (as was previously planned), by maybe putting them up on a free web site and linking to the blog. Suggestions are welcome, of course, if there is an easier way to do it that doesn't require technical expertise.

So last night I trawled on the Internet looking for offers of a free web site, and chose www.maxpages.com

God knows what I was thinking –I should have looked stuff from well-known places such as Geocities etc, but their brief offered a number of interesting features, and they said I could set up quickly. I was not disappointed.

I spent an hour getting used to the site, then quickly chose my parameters, renamed categories of content, drafted some text for the introductory pages, linked the site to my blog, even initiated an editorial calendar.

The major problem was the banner advertisement- it didn’t have anything to do with writing or parenting. In fact, it was sex orientated.

But I was not concerned much: I thought all I’d have to do is find a subject-appropriate advertisement to replace the one I was saddled with, upload the stories I want to make available and I’d be set. From then onwards I would only deal with the site when I have a story to upload.

The site suggested that I publish my site in order to get rid of the advert. I clicked on that link, and that’s when they quoted me a fee to publish. Excuse me for being ignorant, but I thought the offer was for a free web site?

I don’t usually expect things for free, even on the net, because I know that the people run a business and have to make money one way or another. But I wish they made it clear right from the beginning that if I published the web site, I would have to pay. What’s the point of having a web site if it’s not published?

No comments:

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.