Monday, June 18, 2007

Interviews and marathon writing

I first met Mariam Akabor’s sister randomly on the Internet. Over a hot plate of curry and rice she mentioned her sister the author, who launched a short story collection (aimed at teens) at the London Book Fair last year.

Of course I had to interview Mariam and introduce her to you, so I asked for an interview. Lucky us, she agreed, so some time in the next week or two I’ll post a Q & A with her.

In the meantime, I got my grubby hands on Flat 9, her latest collection of short stories, which is prescribed as secondary reading in the province of KwaZulu Natal in South Africa. Check out my review soon.

I also emailed Ramon Thomas, online child safety guru, the series of questions for our interview as planned. I feel guilty because he’s a busy man and I’m asking a lot of questions. But there was so much I feel you’d want to learn from him…

Over the weekend I had a marathon writing session. It all started when I began to work on a short article on blogging (a South African perspective),I promised to a local writing newsletter. Once I started writing, I couldn’t stop until I had an 8-page document.

Nope, I didn’t waffle. It so happens there are some challenges local writers have to bypass before they can blog successfully, and I wanted to acknowledge them and provide some suggestions.

Anyway, I’m going to trim the article to make suitable reading for the newsletter submission. But I also plan to make the full document freely available on this blog as a PDF document. As soon as I figure out how to do it:-)

No comments:

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.