Saturday, October 06, 2007

Trying not to kill the silkworms - again!

Baby is once again trying to raise silkworms. We don’t have pets and silkworms seem like a painless option – they don’t mess the house, bark loudly while we're trying to get some sleep or take up space. Baby's teacher gave them to her. [Thank you Ms N!]

I did a search on the Internet and found these instructions. I also have strict instructions from Baby not to do anything else outside the online directives. During the last attempt, the mulberry leaves in the box dried too fast so I sprinkled a bit of water on them.

Yes know it was not real bright, and it killed the poor larvae. It led to Baby asking some hilariously awkward questions.

I also did some research on Harry Wolhunter, a famous ranger who once killed a lion with a cheap six inch knife.

It was part of Baby’s history lesson for the week, and she was shocked that I’d never heard of the man. “But everyone learns about Harry Wulhunter at school. How come you didn’t?”

It’s difficult for her to grasp that the education I received, under the Bantu Education System, is vastly different from what she’s receiving, more than a decade after our liberation. Then there’s the fact that I don’t have an interest in hunting, so in my day-to-day life I’m unlikely to have come across the information.

Baby and I are reading Alba, by Anne Catherine De Boel. Published by Pan Macmillan's Giraffe Books.





Short intro: Five year old Alba was sitting on a stone in front of the house, looking at the ants that were busy loading grains of rice from her bowl. Then the ants started talking to her.... and they knew her name....





I'll keep you posted as to how it goes, but so far, we're intrigued.

Update: We discovered that our mulberry tree had some ripe fruit. It was a pleasant surprise-the tree has never borne fruit in the four years we've lived here. We picked up some - and I had more landing in my mouth than in the bowl. But we did manage to get some to flavour some ice cream tomorrow.

No comments:

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.