Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The legend of the mobile worker


The past two weeks have been hectic, as I researched and wrote a 60-page report on an ICT topic. This is the longest project that I've worked on and it was very challenging.

I think the hard part was that, along the way, I lost some perspective on the whole document and thought it was really a BAD piece of writing.

But that happens quite often when you are immersed in a project for too long.

So, I took my laptop and went to work at the local library - new venue, fresh perspective kind of thing.

To get to the library, I have to walk through a large, lovely park, just a street from my house. The sun was shining, but not too hot, and the scenery looked very inviting.

But I think the legend that you can take your laptop to work in the park is just that - a legend. Firstly, I wouldn't be comfortable sitting on the grass for hours, working on my lap.

Also, sitting in a nearly-deserted park with an expensive piece of electronics out in the public eye sounds like an invitation to be mugged to me. Then there's the fact that my Acer has a battery life of about 4 hours.

So yeah, working from home means I can escape from my "office" when the walls start closing in. But I haven't yet got used to the idea that I can be in the outdoors and still get the work done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend restaurants like Cafe Neo in Cape Town. However, if you want to focus on writing the constant in-an-out of the other laptop carrying, blogging Facebook friends may be too much for you. There are bound to be other more intimate venues that appear from no onwards on the fringe of the hotspots in Gauteng or Cape Town, Port Elizabeth or Durban.

Mobile Device Management said...

Excellent effort! I appreciate this...Thanks for sharing!

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.