Friday, June 19, 2009

Relaxing while work still needs to get done

What do you do when you feel run down and need some rest, but you still have work to do and deadlines to meet?

I closed my eyes, listened to this song a couple of times:



Then I put a DVD of “Children of Men” , starring Clive Owen, to play in the background while I wrote.

Sometimes I need silence to write and the movie would have distracted me. But not today.

Instead of eating lunch at home, I brown-bagged it and went for a walk in the park.


And I chatted to a couple of friends on the phone

And I toured the blogs I usually read, and a couple new sites.

With all that activity, I’m sure you’re wondering if I did manage to get anything done. And the answer is yes, I did.

I set up two interviews (And this time I’m doing them by phone. I’m not driving to Pretoria for love or money!), posted a series of articles on the OneLove web site, wrote a press release, transcribed a video presentation that’s going to form part of my feature article on the public sector and started drafting the article.

So what’s my point?

I guess I wanted to say that even though many of us dreamt of being writers, writing is still a job, and you have to work even on days when you’d rather not.

BeckyJoie over at Rather Be Writing is talking about essay writing, and she’s asking how you write them (the process) and what your cause and motives are for writing them.

And my reply was that I write essays when I’m inspired. But those are personal essays, when I feel strongly about an issue.

But for the bulk of my writing, which involves articles, blog posts, press releases, case studies etc, I write whether I’m inspired or not. I do enjoy the work, but I still write because it is my job.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

I suppose as long as it does not become "just a job" then it is still good.

Damaria Senne said...

Thank God it's not "just a job"! As you know, I've always wanted to work as a writer, and this is my dream job.
I think the fact that it is my dream job is the reason I'm so driven to make it work, even when I don't want to write. Because I don't want to blow the opportunity to do something I love and be forced to take any old job to pay bills.

Ms Lona-Lee Hart said...

Wasn't it Hemingway who said "Writing is easy, you just sit in front of the typewriter and bleed."? I agree, D, that writing is like any other job, sometimes you'll be inspired and just go and other times you'll wish that you were a goatherder in Lapland. I love writing, but fear of failure has kept me from writing for too many years. A few small successes have done wonders for my inspiration and my will to write!

iWrite2Know said...

The writers’ bloc can step in an over-worked writer’s life any moment. The trick is to keep a balance between writing and reading. Going for a quick stroll to get some fresh is most advisable. Catching up with old friends can do wonders and eradicate the bloc from your mind.

BeckyJoie said...

Little breaks help too. Sometimes I find if I am pushing too hard, then a little break in the midst of a busy time will be just enough to unblock me and give me renewed vision and energy. Thanks for the link, by the way. And Oh my! I'm am so enjoying this music you posted as well! Have a wonderful word-filled day!

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.