Thursday, March 10, 2011

An Artist, A Writer, A Musician, A Graphic Designer And Lots Of Business Correspondence

I thought yesterday was going to be a more restful day, but it wasn't. In addition to the laptop/modem shopping, I did a lot of businesses correspondence. I didn't realise how much stuff I deal with everyday as a matter of course.

Here are some of the things I did yesterday:

1.  Updated Storypot again. Pam has given me a series of short stories, which I'll slowly make available here for your reading pleasure. They'll go online every Friday, starting tomorrow. And yes, I've already loaded them up and scheduled them, so we're all set.

2. Edited a client document and emailed it with invoice. Yay!

3. Reviewed an illustration of one of the major characters in my children's book. I loved what Jenny Nijenhuis, the artist did the first time I saw it but I wanted to see it again, just to make sure it I make a well-considered decision.

4. Sent the first draft of an ebook (non-fiction) I finished writing to a fellow writer for review. Many thanks writer Judy Croome, for your very constructive criticism. I like that you told me what didn't work for you too. I especially loved Ella Fitzgerald video and will take her advice too.

5. Listened to tracks from an album that's still in development by Ezbie Moiloa, an old friend who has worked as music director and a keyboard player for Hugh Masekela and is very well-regarded in the music industry, though personal fame has eluded him. He is a childhood friend and we drifted apart over the years ( due to work and life commitments). But he has always been as committed to his music as I was to my writing. So when a mutual childhood friend popped in to visit and I asked after him, she brought out of his album, which is still in development, for me to listen (friend is involved with development process. I think she wrote the lyrics.)

Anyhoo, I know I'm biased: I always believed that he was very talented, and that it was a pity that mainstream music lovers had not  discovered him yet. But the tracks I listened to? They're the kind I'd pay cold hard cash to own the album. And I'd recommend that you do the same too. Especially if you liked Jabu Khanyile, Hugh Masekela, Vusi Mahlasela.  And if you don't know who I'm talking about? Ezbie will broaden your horizons:-) Friend says album will be launched in April. And yes, I'll remind you on the blog.

5. Asked a friend who's a graphic artist to do a logo for my company. Money's tight, so we're trading services for each other, rather than actually exchanging cash. It's about time I bit the bullet and got a more professional look for my business, don't you think?

6. Sent a couple of emails to clients and proposals/quotations for potential clients. Let's hope some of them bite :-)

7. Catching up on friends' blogs....

P.S. My hyperactive self is coming back, yes? For those of you wanting to earn a living as a writing, you'll find out pretty fast that there is a business side to writing. I'm very grateful that most days, I actually have the space to create something that's not a letter or a blog post and get paid to do it.

What have you been up to?

6 comments:

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

My pleasure, Damaria! :) When you get that final daft out in e-book, it'll be a little gem for people interested in learning how to deal with the media.
Judy (South Africa)

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

I mean FINAL DRAFT (not daft, it's me that's daft today!)
Judy (South Africa)

Damaria Senne said...

LOL! I wouldn't mind seeing a final DAFT. It would mean there are no more daft people left in the world:-)

Tamara said...

I'm not a fan of the business side of my writing. I dream of one day being able to outsource it ;-) You seem to be good at it though.

Looking forward to the short stories.

Check out Po's blog today... post about you.

Damaria Senne said...

@Tamara - I'd seen it earlier, and I had to walk away from my desk. I'm so touched, yet also so inspired by her post. And thank you too for your response on that post. Much appreciated.

tiah said...

You are one busy lady. Hat off to you!

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.