Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Some thoughts on blogging and other social networking phenomena

I have submitted a post to Quasi Fictional, discussing how I blog and my feelings about the phenomenon.

Also please explore the site and to read why a number of people from various countries blog. I found many of the posts illuminating, especially because many writers spoke of blogging with enthusiasm and passion.

WHO’S TO BLAME?

In this post, Babygirl chats about the use of mobile phone instant messaging platforms like Mxit and the danger some of these chat rooms pose for children.

Babygirl writes for Mydigitallife, a social networking platform recently launched by my employer.

“The chat rooms had names that were so disturbing and so inviting to the prowling sick men out there. But the one that really irritated me was [R-word an f-word me]. I found it appalling for girls to have something to do with a chatroom like that. Why on earth do girls want to invite such frivolous behaviour?”

Babygirl’s post takes me back to my position that children need to be educated so they don’t take undue risks and know how to spot the signs when they find themselves in potentially dangerous situations.

POLITICIAN CALLS FOR REGULATING BLOGGING AND IM PLATFORMS

Politician Patricia De Lille was recently catapulted into the spotlight for suggesting that the South African government should regulates on blogging and the use of instant messaging platforms such as Mixit.

South Africa has a high mobile phone penetration rate and Mxit is very popular with millions of young phone users, who use it to get online for chats everyday.

Most people in the media /technology industry laughed De Lille off the stage. I sent her my proposal for “A parent’s guide to protect children from harmful cellphone content” and told her educating the parents and kids is probably the only protection South Africa can realistically offer.

South Africa already has laws, regulations and a code of good conduct governing the mobile content and the social networking space. But, most people don’t even know where to complain if their children are sent content that is inappropriate for their age.

A popular refrain among the operators is that the solution is not technological; the solution is about the parents being informed and educated about their children’s use of cellphone use and taking the necessary steps to protect them.

All this tells me there is a strong need for my book. Maybe I’m not knocking on the right doors, because so far there haven’t been takers for my book proposal. I’m going to rework the proposal again, tighten it, and send it out again. I know there is a need for this kind of book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to publish a school article and my teacher says that I have cite the source.

Damaria Senne said...

Hi
Even if I gave you the information you're asking for, it wouldn't help. My blog and the views expressed by the writer I mention is pure opinion, not documented fact. So you cannot cite us on a school paper.

When you write a school paper, you're supposed to cite documented research and subject experts as primary sources.

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.