Tuesday, July 03, 2007

SCWBI (Gauteng) to meet in July

The next meeting of the SCWBI Gauteng is on the 12 July, from 09h00 – 13h00. Local children’s authors Rob Marsh, Leanne Hardy and Agueda Nunes will show their books and discuss their writing processes.

If I can swing it, I will attend so I can report on the event on this blog, maybe even review the books here. But I'm not holding my breath - lately my schedule has been very hectic. Check out the day’s programme here.

BTW, at the last meeting in May, Russell Clark from Jacana Mediasaid local teachers and librarians identified a need for non-fiction books on some specific topics, and that Jacana was open to proposals on those topics.

Russel also gave writers some writing and submission guidelines:

* Develop a clear concept for your book.
* Put together a proposal and submit it.
* Keep your target group in mind.
* Limit the age bracket for which you’re writing.
* Keep the language level consistent for the target group.
* Do not patronise your audience.
* Write from an African perspective.

I just found out today that my article for the Gauteng chapter of the Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCWBI) is online. Check it out the post here.

I'm going to see The Lion King ( the musical) on Thursday night. I wish I could take Baby with me, but it's one of the rare work-related social evenings that I've accepted. It will be fun, but it's also business, and no place for a child. Also, I'm going on a school night.

No comments:

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.