I can't wait for the next SCWBI event in Johannesburg! The programme is primarily about books - What township kids are reading, the Exclusive Books IBBY SA awards, and Exclusive Books' Christmas Reading Lists.
If you'd like to attend, please comtact Jenny Hatton via e-mail – bookings@SCBWI.za.org by 17 November at the latest. The event takes place at the Theo van Wijk Building, Room 8-46, at the University of South Africa in Pretoria.
10:00: Welcome – Jenny Hatton
10:15: “What township children are reading: a case study” – Nicoline Wessels and Hannalie Knoetze
Description: Nicoline Wessels and Hannalie Knoetze will discuss the research they have done in three schools regarding the type of books that under-privileged children are reading.
11:40: Exclusive Books IBBY SA Awards – Penny Hochfeld
Description: Discussion of how the Exclusive Books IBBY SA Award was awarded jointly to:
- The Cool Nguni (written by Maryanne Bester, illustrated by Shayle Bester, published by Jacana Media);
- Fynbosfeetjies (written by Antjie Krog, illustrated by Fiona Moodie, published by Umuzi) ;
- Ouma Ruby’s Secret (written by Chris van Wyk, illustrated by Anneliese Voigt-Peters, published by Giraffe Books Pan Macmillan);
- UTshepo mde / Tall enough (written by Mhlobo Jadezweni, illustrated by Hannah Morris, published by Electric Book Works)
- and Zanzibar Road (written and illustrated by Niki Daly, published in English by Pan Macmillan and in Afrikaans by LAPA Uitgewers).
Penny will also briefly discuss Exclusive Books’ Christmas Reading Lists and how children’s books are marketed.
12:30: General discussion
13:00: A light lunch will be served.