Jayne's company Podcart produces podcasts for South African businesses. Jayne launched a podcast expaining what podcast is and how it works.
Who in SA is podcasting?
Independents and specialists
- The ZA Show
- ZA Tech Show
- Radio Stations repackage content for content, to attract new listeners and provide value for current listeners. Examples are East Coast Radio and 94.7.
- Other tarditional media - The Mail and Guardian, The Times
- Some corporates ( Old Mutual, Woolworths)
Why people like podcasts
- They can listen when they want, and can skip around to
- It can be as specialist as you like, can be very niche; tat is something that has been lost in SA
- So it's a huge oportunity for people to create their own content.
- It also gives you a feeling of being part of the community.
- Being famous helps.
- If you're not famous, you can be fascinating.
- Be focussed - you cam't try to be all things to all people.
- Be real - It has to be real content. if it's just water-down advertising, then people will not want to listen to it. Ir's not always easy to keep corporates on straight on narrow on this issue, but it is critical.
- Be relevant - if you talk about something that is important to your audience. Tap into what people's interests are, right now.
- Be responsive - if you're putting a podcast together, give it mechanism so your audience can talk to you, and you can respond.
- Work hard to provide good quality product ( if people can't hear it, they won't listen)
- Be creative with the audio ( it can be free)
- Don't talk too much. If you produce a good 10 minute show, consistently, that would be good.
- Don't call it a podcast - people are slightly nervous of technology they don't udnerstand. Call it something people can relate to.
Some tips for writers
- Not being aradio producer is not a problem at all
- It doesn't have to be complicated
- You can script yourself
- Get someone to podcast with you, so it's a conversation
- Listen to how other people have put podcasts together; learn from others
How to market a podcast
- No one big thing, but lots of small things to do:
- Create Facebook list
- Get podcast into podcast directories
- Email is good way to market podcast, then people can go to link
- Talk about it, get yourself some coverage
- Publicise your podcast on traditional media
- Put URL of podcast at the bottom of your emails
Can you make money?
- Jayne does, because she makes podcasts for corporates
- Get sponsorships for the podcasts
- Create very good content, that builds audience, and that could have ads/sponsors