Nicholas presented a case study of his coverage of the Million Man March, but the most striking aspect of his presentation for me was his tips for the digital citizen.
Nik says, to be an effective citizen journalist:
* Use the tools available to you ( mobile phone)
* Use networks you already have
* Don’t try to compete globally; local is where citizen journalism needs to happen
* Don’t compete with big players. If you try to com[pete with IOL, M&G etc, you’ll lose.
* Be a citizen – have an opinion and report your news. Differentiate yourself, report YOUR news.