Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Following The Muse

I've just figured out that I'm happier, and work better, when I follow where the muse leads me, rather than trying to be reasonable about projects I do. Doing my duty and being reasonable actually gets me into trouble, because then I end up working on projects I don't enjoy, underperforming and just being unhappy. But when I follow the muse, the work process is easier and the work is inspired.

It's a frightening realisation, because being reasonable pays bills, and following the muse means going down a path into the dark unknown - and you can either find something wonderful at the end of the path, or find emptiness. And it's almost guaranteed when walking down dark alleyways that you'll trip over some object you didn't see, maybe stumble or fall or even skin your knees.

Anyway, the reason I mention this is because I was chatting to someone who interests me, decided to do an interview, queried an editor and got the whole assignment approved within 24 hours. The querying and approval part actually took less than an hour:-)

Huh! I should stop thinking so hard and get to work; update web sites and write newsletter copy.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

It's so cool when that happens!

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.