Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Your Online Dialogue Has A Very Long Lifespan

Today I received an email from someone I'd never heard of, asking me to help her get connected with another person I'd also never heard of. My first response was to wonder if my blog had become a platform to find missing persons while I was not looking ( I do get these kinds of requests often enough:-). And even if it had, was I even inclined to lookfor this person?

Turns out the person being searched for was someone I interviewed more than a year ago. The searcher Googled the name of her friend, found my article and traced me back  to my email address.

I had some contact details and people we knew in common I could email to ask. So I was able to forward the searcher's request to the relevant people.

I hope the two friends, who apparently went to school together, are reunited and can strengthen their friendship all over again. It's also nice to know that long after you've published a piece, maybe even forgotten about it, it can still have a positive impact on people.

3 comments:

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

I also think it's an indication of how careful one must be when writing anything on-line! Look at Sarah Palin's recent frantic scurry across the 'net to remove her inflammatory remarks after the Arizona shooting. But, in this case, let's hope for a happy ending! :)
Judy (South Africa)

tiah said...

I agree with Judy. I think of some off the cuff remarks I've made in the past and cringe.

Damaria Senne said...

LOL judy and tiah.I think we all go through that? I read through my early online stuff and I also cringe. I also pray to God that none of the potential clients I'm trying to impress now actually read the tripe I have out there. Google may be a friend... but Google cache just sucks.. big time!

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.