Thursday, February 17, 2011

Writing Day Take 2

I plan to dedicate today to the writing process too. The content is starting to take shape and I finalised one main page and 8 sub-pages for a web site yesterday. I want to accomplish as much, maybe more, today.

On Shukumisa I'm asking if alleged rapists should get bail. A reader sent a heated email saying they shouldn't. She says they could rape the victim, and also intimidate her and made her generally uncomfortable. This is made when the rapist is family (and they all live in the same home) or someone in the community.

What do you think?


3 comments:

po said...

That question is too difficult for me as I don't know the legalities of it all. I know even suspected murderers get bail.

Tamara said...

I'm with Po. There's also the matter of that word... "alleged". Innocent until proven guilty, right? So if you take that tack, bail should be given. But, on the other hand, how awful would it be if bail is given and the guy rapes someone else or intimidates his victim?

No answer from me, I'm afraid.

Damaria Senne said...

@Po and Tamara - I know what you mean about it being a difficult issue to address.

The fact of the matter is that EVERYONE has certain rights guaranteed them by the constitution and the laws of this land. And that means, everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and can't be jailed without bail unless the case has been heard and the magistrate / judge HAS DENIED bail or the person couldn't afford the required amount.
So, what do we do to protect the rights of the rape victim without infringing on the rights of the accused ( not expecting an answer; just thinking)

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.