Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Too much concern & over-protection by parents makes kids fragile

In December 2004, Psychology Today published an article that stated that American parents were going to ludicrous lengths to protect their children from life's challenges. Someone sent me the link to the story last night, and I found it to be as relevant today as it was at the time of publication.

As a parent, I do experience that tension of wanting my child to be more independent and confident, while at the same time feeling that the world is not as safe as i'd like it to be. I want to help Baby, smooth the rough edges of life for her.

So where do I draw the line? When does my help become too much,maybe even damaging?

This article is a must read, even for South African parents, because I feel Black middle-class are also falling into the trap of doing too much for our children.

"I want my children to have the things my parents could not afford," is the usual explanation.

It is natural for a parents to want more for their children, but it is also important that we allow our children to grow to become competent, independent adults who can cope with life, and even thrive, without us.

Read the article here

No comments:

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.