Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I don't love it (yet)

I spent most of the morning doing admin. Lots to do, as financial cycle I’m on ended at the end of December and I need to get ready to file with SARS.

A couple of weeks ago I got an Amazon Kindle with 3G access. I’ve wanted one for a very long time. Printed books are very expensive and over the years I’ve had to be choosy about what I buy, instead of just getting a book because it looks interesting.

So I decided to go the ebooks route. I can get more books I like, and if a book is a keeper, I can get a hard copy at my leisure. I don’t love it (yet) but it’s great for my novels. It’s also nice being able to read my work-related documents ( in PDF) on the Kindle while curled on a sofa, instead of being stuck at my desk all the time.

And yes the critics are right: somehow an Kindle doesn't quite feel like a book in your hands, but I'll get used to it I'm sure.

3 comments:

tiah said...

Enjoy the kindle. I don't know if love is ever going to be the correct word for my relationship with the kindle. It is useful, portable and very nice for a whole host of reasons. But it doesn't replace book-books. Kind of an additional reading medium.

po said...

Cooooool, I have a kindle like you and I looove it, however, it has enoucraged me to spend more money, because I get used to having instant books and cannot wait, and end up buying books i wouldn't normally buy, actually quite trashy ones, and actually for me ebooks are not always cheaper cos books in the uk are much cheaper than SA. But I still love it ;P

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

Damaria (& Tiah) Kindle love definitely creeps up on you...before you know it you can't do without it in your life. These days I hardly browse paper books - I only buy those if there's no way I can get the eBok version. And even then I sometimes just put them in my wishlist as a reminder to check back later to see if they're available on eBook! :)

Judy, South Africa

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.