Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Job-hunting at 5 years old?

Yesterday a group of four kids, aged  between 4-6 years old, came over to my house and asked for work. My initial response was, "aaw! how cute!"

Then I had to consider that we do hire casual labourers for the chicken business and that the kids ( or at least, the ringleader) trully understood that we were potential employers and they did want jobs. That impressed me.


My mother soon took away my glow though. She mentioned that the kids looked hungry, and as we serve a midday meal for employees, the kids probably figured that getting a job with us would translate into a guaranteed daily meal.

The kids came around mid-day. By my estimation, they should have been in pre-school at that time. But clearly, they don't attend school, and they are not watched closely enough, because they were able to leave their homes unattended  and no one looked for them for all the time they were with us (one child belongs to a neighbour, the rest we didn't recognise).

By  the time they left, I was sad for them. It was rainy, chilli day, and they should have been cosy at pre-school, playing with their peers, or at least, at home, drinking something warm. Not at a neighbour's house, job-hunting.

I do admire the way their minds work though, and hope that they'll carry that ethic into adulthood.

The rest of the day I was busy with client work - I finished a project and sent to client, studied a trade magazine's editorial requirements, brainstormed and pitched 3 article ideas to an existing client and wrote quite a bit on current projects. I'm hoping that the rest of the week goes just as well.

P.S. Many thanks to all the people who offered suggestions on how I can improve my blog, either online or by emailing me directly. I appreciate it.


No comments:

Copyright Notice

With the exception of entries specifically credited to individual authors, the content on this blog is copyrighted by Damaria Senne and may not be reprinted without permission.